Wicked Shizuku's Reviews

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

The Adventures of Huckleberry FinnThe Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

stir the pot photo: Stir Ze Pot 1141089742743.gif

Those who stir the pot, should have to lick the spoon. Seriously.
A lot of contriversy in the pages of this story in the South.
Twain gives a really good look on what happened in his society. I like to think that we as a nation have moved on from this. Yes, slavery was wrong. Yes, it was horrible. Wait though it is still going on. In many ways, to numerous to think or talk about. I think that racial prejudice has reversed for something that the last two generations of any race had nothing to do with. It's time to let the hate go people. We are human beings, and do mean something. Isn't it time to move towards just helping our fellow man because it's the right thing to do?

I do not recommend that if you are a parent, that you do not let a grade schooler read this. This is high school material, and should me treated as such! I agree that it is an important book. I'm pretty sure that most school boards get a call about at least once a year. Dealing with the issues of racism and alcoholism. What I don't agree with is 'how' it is taught in schools, and the age it's taught at. I recall that I was made to read it in the third grade, and then again in the fifth. I remember that's when the schism between the races in our classes began, when it wasn't an issue before. It hurts to think back on it, and I really dread the day that I have to discuss it with my kids.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

"A Ring a-Ding-Ding" by Samantha Tolleson

  “A Ring a-Ding-Ding”   Cheery jingling airs Hurried purchases made Reunions after another year Incoming after not a whisper Se...