Wicked Shizuku's Reviews

Monday, December 30, 2013

Black Bird, Vol. 1 (Black Bird, #1)Black Bird, Vol. 1 by Kanoko Sakurakouji
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

So way way back *with dramatic arm gestures and everything* I looked this up right after reading Backstage Prince, Vol. 1. It was ongoing and I am a very busy mom; I put this on hold for one of those someday reads. Role over about 5 years and I come across it again through the group I created, and it was voted as the monthly read for July. Then everything gets so crazy with my double bathroom renovations. Needing everything replaced, all vehicles breaking down on our family, having a nightmare roommate, living with my mom, husband, & kids; there just wasn't any time to read this when sleep was the first thing on my mind. Now in September that I'm calm and finally getting to read this manga. I give you the review now...
I liked the mangaka's artstyle. She has a way with drawing tragically dark or cavity sweet characters. Very good detail on hairstyles, clothes, and body structures. Though there is a lack in the attention to plot in the first few volumes; as to us being introduced to the characters. Then understanding their back story as you go along. Most Shojo and Josei manga follows this basic structure. I do enjoy that this has been very different from InuYasha: Turning Back Time, Vol. 1 or even Kamisama Kiss, Vol. 01. Though I find myself seeing some similar romantic schemes from Crimson Hero, Vol. 1,Vampire Knight, Vol. 01, Tail of the Moon, Volume 1. It makes me think that she found inspiration from these other mangakas.
The story is pleasing, but it has so many holes in the beginning. Also the main characters just jump into there relationship so quickly. Boo that is one star deduction! I don't really care for Shojo that gives to many dewy eyed scenes. More adventure needs to come to this genre. With that I close this rant session.
Cheers Pretties!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

"A Ring a-Ding-Ding" by Samantha Tolleson

  “A Ring a-Ding-Ding”   Cheery jingling airs Hurried purchases made Reunions after another year Incoming after not a whisper Se...